0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (4.9k points)

Statement-I: The soil in tropical rainforests is rich in nutrients.

Statement-II: The high temperature and moisture in tropical rainforests cause dead organic matter in the soil to decompose quickly.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (4.9k points)

Answer:(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I.

Explanation:

Statement-I: The soil in tropical rainforests is rich in nutrients.

This statement is correct. Tropical rainforests have a diverse and complex ecosystem with a high level of biological productivity. The abundant vegetation and rapid decomposition of organic matter contribute to the accumulation of nutrients in the soil, making it rich in nutrients.

Statement-II: The high temperature and moisture in tropical rainforests cause dead organic matter in the soil to decompose quickly.

This statement is also correct. The warm and humid climate in tropical rainforests creates ideal conditions for the rapid decomposition of organic matter. The high temperature and moisture levels accelerate the activities of decomposers like bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms, leading to fast decomposition and nutrient cycling in the soil.

However, Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I. While the rapid decomposition of organic matter contributes to the nutrient content of the soil, other factors such as weathering of rocks, nutrient cycling through plant and animal interactions, and the presence of diverse plant species also play significant roles in enriching the soil in tropical rainforests.