0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (4.9k points)

Statement-I: Marsupials are not naturally found in India.

Statement-II: Marsupials can thrive only in montane grasslands with no predators.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (4.9k points)

Answer:(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

Explanation:

Statement-I: Marsupials are not naturally found in India. This statement is correct. Marsupials are a group of mammals characterized by giving birth to relatively undeveloped young, which then complete their development in a pouch. Marsupials are primarily found in Australia, with some species also found in New Guinea and nearby islands. They are not naturally found in India.

Statement-II: Marsupials can thrive only in montane grasslands with no predators. This statement is incorrect. Marsupials have adapted to various habitats, including forests, grasslands, and deserts. While some marsupial species may inhabit grassland environments, they are not limited to montane grasslands specifically. Additionally, marsupials have coexisted with predators in their native habitats, and their survival does not depend on the absence of predators.

Authenticative Reference Source:

To verify this information, you can refer to the relevant sections of the NCERT textbooks for biology, specifically the chapters on animal diversity. Additionally, you can consult the official website of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India, for information on the native fauna of India.