0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (4.9k points)

Statement-I: Despite having uranium deposits, India depends on coal for most of its electricity production.

Statement-II: Uranium, enriched to the extent of at least 60%, is required for the production of electricity.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (4.9k points)

Answer:(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

Explanation:

Statement-I: Despite having uranium deposits, India depends on coal for most of its electricity production.

This statement is correct. India does have significant uranium deposits, but its dependence on coal for electricity production is higher. Coal remains the dominant source of energy for electricity generation in India, accounting for a significant portion of the country's power production.

Statement-II: Uranium, enriched to the extent of at least 60%, is required for the production of electricity.

This statement is incorrect. Uranium enrichment is required for specific applications, such as nuclear power plants or the production of nuclear weapons. However, the extent of enrichment needed for electricity production is not necessarily 60%. The level of uranium enrichment required depends on the type of reactor used for electricity generation. For example, light water reactors (LWRs), which are commonly used for commercial electricity production, typically use uranium enriched to about 3-5% in their fuel rods.

Authenticative Reference Source:

To validate the information, I'll refer to an authentic source, which is a government of India website. The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, provides information on India's nuclear power program and uranium resources. According to the DAE, India has significant uranium resources, but its dependence on coal for electricity generation is higher. Additionally, the DAE explains that different levels of uranium enrichment are required for various nuclear applications, including electricity production.

Reference source:

Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India:

https://dae.gov.in/