0 votes
in DO You Know This? by (4.9k points)

Joint Implementation (JI) and Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC):

ParameterJICDM
ObjectiveTo help Annex I countries meet their emissions reduction targets by investing in emission reduction projects in other Annex I countriesTo help Annex I and non-Annex I countries meet their emissions reduction targets by investing in emission reduction projects in non-Annex I countries
ApplicabilityBetween Annex I countries onlyBetween Annex I and non-Annex I countries
Project TypeEmission reduction or removal projects in the energy sector and industryEmission reduction or removal projects in any sector
AdditionalityProjects must result in emission reductions beyond what would have happened without the projectProjects must be additional to any that would have happened anyway
Crediting PeriodMaximum of five years with possibility of renewalMaximum of 10 years with no possibility of renewal
Project CycleHost country approves the project and submits a report to the JI Supervisory Committee for approvalHost country approves the project and submits a report to the CDM Executive Board for approval
Emission Reduction Units (ERUs)Issued for each tonne of CO2 equivalent reduced or removedIssued for each tonne of CO2 equivalent reduced or removed

In summary, JI is a mechanism designed to facilitate emissions reductions between Annex I countries only, whereas CDM is a mechanism designed to facilitate emissions reductions between Annex I and non-Annex I countries. The types of projects eligible for each mechanism are also different, with JI focused on emission reduction or removal projects in the energy sector and industry, while CDM allows for projects in any sector. Both mechanisms require additionality, but JI has a maximum crediting period of five years with the possibility of renewal, while CDM has a maximum crediting period of 10 years with no possibility of renewal. Finally, both mechanisms issue carbon credits (ERUs) for each tonne of CO2 equivalent reduced or removed, but they are used in different ways based on the mechanism used.

Please log in or register to answer this question.