0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (4.9k points)

Statement-I: The temperature contrast between continents and oceans is greater during summer than in winter.

Statement-II: The specific heat of water is more than that of the land surface.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II is not the correct explanation for Statement-I.

(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect.

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct.

1 Answer

0 votes
by (4.9k points)

Answer:(a)Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, and Statement-II is the correct explanation for Statement-I.

Statement-I: The temperature contrast between continents and oceans is greater during summer than in winter. This is because land surfaces heat up and cool down more rapidly than water bodies, leading to larger temperature differences during summer.

Statement-II: The specific heat of water is more than that of the land surface. This means that water requires more heat energy to raise its temperature compared to land. However, this statement does not directly explain why the temperature contrast between continents and oceans is greater during summer.

While both statements are individually correct, Statement-II does not provide a direct explanation for the temperature contrast described in Statement-I. The temperature contrast is primarily influenced by the differential heating and cooling characteristics of land and water surfaces.