0 votes
in DO You Know This? by (4.9k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
by (4.9k points)

Joint Implementation (JI), Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), and Carbon Trading:

ParameterJICDMCarbon Trading
ObjectiveTo help Annex I countries meet their emissions reduction targets by investing in emission reduction projects in other Annex I countriesTo help Annex I and non-Annex I countries meet their emissions reduction targets by investing in emission reduction projects in non-Annex I countriesTo create a market for buying and selling carbon credits to achieve emissions reductions
ApplicabilityBetween Annex I countries onlyBetween Annex I and non-Annex I countriesBetween any two entities, including companies and countries
Project TypeEmission reduction or removal projects in the energy sector and industryEmission reduction or removal projects in any sectorN/A
AdditionalityProjects must result in emission reductions beyond what would have happened without the projectProjects must be additional to any that would have happened anywayN/A
Crediting PeriodMaximum of five years with possibility of renewalMaximum of 10 years with no possibility of renewalN/A
Regulatory OversightJI Supervisory CommitteeCDM Executive BoardNo specific regulatory body
Trading UnitsEmission Reduction Units (ERUs)Certified Emission Reductions (CERs)Carbon Credits
Trading MechanismERUs can be transferred between Annex I countries through bilateral agreementsCERs can be traded on the global carbon marketCarbon credits can be traded on the global carbon market

In summary, JI and CDM are mechanisms designed to facilitate emissions reductions through investment in specific projects, while carbon trading creates a market for buying and selling carbon credits to achieve emissions reductions. JI is applicable only between Annex I countries, while CDM is applicable between Annex I and non-Annex I countries. Both JI and CDM require additionality and have a maximum crediting period. They also have specific regulatory oversight bodies, the JI Supervisory Committee and CDM Executive Board, respectively. On the other hand, carbon trading does not have a specific regulatory body and allows for the trading of carbon credits on a global market. The trading units also differ, with JI using ERUs and CDM using CERs, while carbon trading uses carbon credits.