0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (15.2k points)

19. In 2021, WHO has launched the first-ever global strategy to defeat meningitis by 2030. Which are the antibiotics recommended by WHO to treat this disease?

(a) Penicillin, Ampicillin, Ceftriaxone

(b) Metronidazole, Cephalexin, Doxycycline

(c) Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, Ciprofloxacin

(d) Levofloxacin, Clarithromycin, Azithromycin

Answer: (1) Penicillin, Ampicillin, Ceftriaxone

Explanation:

Penicillin, Ampicillin, and Ceftriaxone are commonly recommended antibiotics for treating bacterial meningitis. WHO endorses these antibiotics because of their effectiveness against the bacteria that commonly cause meningitis. The other options list antibiotics effective for other conditions but not specifically recommended for bacterial meningitis by WHO.

20. Which of the following organs is not considered to be immunologically important organ?

Bone marrow

Thymus

Spleen

Pancreas

Answer: (4) Pancreas

Explanation:

Bone marrow, Thymus, and Spleen are key organs of the immune system:

Bone marrow produces immune cells.

Thymus is where T-cells mature.

Spleen filters blood and helps fight infections.

The Pancreas is primarily involved in digestion and regulating blood sugar levels (via insulin production), not in immune responses.

Thus, the correct answer is (4) Pancreas.

21. Mark the following statements about vitamins that are true:

(a) Total daily requirement of vitamins is very small.

(b) Vitamins are not present in the common foodstuffs.

(c) Synthetic vitamins are not nutritionally as good as natural vitamins.

(d) Bacteria present in the human gut can synthesize some of the vitamins.

(1) (a) and (b) are true while  (c) and (d) are false 

(2) (b) and (c) are true while  (a) and (d) are false 

(3) (a) and (d) are true while  (b) and (c) are false 

(4) (b) and (d) are true while (a) and (c) are false

Answer: (3) (a) and (d) are true while  (b) and (c) are false 

Explanation:

(a) Total daily requirement of vitamins is very small.

This is true. The daily requirement for vitamins is indeed very small compared to macronutrients like proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.

(b) Vitamins are not present in the common foodstuffs.

This is false. Vitamins are present in a wide variety of common foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains, and meats.

(c) Synthetic vitamins are not nutritionally as good as natural vitamins.

This is generally false. Synthetic vitamins are chemically identical to natural vitamins and function similarly in the body. However, some studies suggest that the bioavailability of synthetic vitamins might differ slightly from natural ones, but they are still considered nutritionally effective.

(d) Bacteria present in the human gut can synthesize some of the vitamins.

This is true. Certain gut bacteria can synthesize vitamins such as vitamin K and some B vitamins.

Based on this evaluation:

(a) is true

(b) is false

(c) is false

(d) is true

Correct Answer: (3) (a) and (d) are true while (b) and (c) are false

2 Answers

0 votes
by (15.2k points)

22. Match List-I with List-II:

List-I

(a) Radioactive isotopes

(b) Radiation unit

(c) Atomic number of a chemical element

(d) Mass number of a chemical element

List-II

(i) Equal to number of protons found in the nucleus

(ii) Equal to number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus

(iii)  1H,32S,12C,127I,59Co

(iv)  Curie(Ci),Millicurie(mCi)

(v)  3H,35S,131I,60Co

Choose the correct answer from the options given below:

(a)  (b)  (c)  (d)

(1)  (v) (iv) (i) (ii) 

(2) (iv) (ii) (iii) (v) 

(3) (iii) (iv) (ii) (i) 

(4) (ii) (iii) (v) (iv)

Correct Answer: (1) (v) (iv) (i) (ii)

Explanation:

So, the correct matches are:

(a) Radioactive isotopes - (v)

(b) Radiation unit - (iv)

(c) Atomic number of a chemical element - (i)

(d) Mass number of a chemical element - (ii)

Correct Answer: (1) (v) (iv) (i) (ii)

23. Consider the following statements:

Assertion (A): The stream of water flowing at high speed from a garden hose pipe tends to spread like a fountain when held vertically up, but tends to narrow down when held vertically down.

Reason (R): In any steady flow of an incompressible fluid, the volume flow rate of the fluid remains constant.

Both Assertion (A) and Reason (R) are true and Reason (R) is the correct explanation of Assertion (A)

Both Assertion (A) and Reason (R) are true but the Reason (R) is not the correct explanation of the Assertion (A)

Assertion (A) is true, but Reason (R) is false

Both Assertion (A) and Reason (R) are false

Answer: (1) Both Assertion (A) and Reason (R) are true and Reason (R) is the correct explanation of Assertion (A)

Explanation:

Assertion (A): The behavior of the water stream from a hose pipe changes based on its orientation due to gravity and the effects of pressure. When held up, the water spreads due to lower pressure as the water exits. When held down, gravity pulls the water together, creating a narrower stream.

Reason (R): While it's true that in a steady flow of an incompressible fluid, the volume flow rate remains constant, this reason doesn't fully explain why the water spreads or narrows based on the direction. The shape of the stream has more to do with pressure changes and gravity than with the flow rate being constant.

24. Match List-I with List-II:

List-I:

(a) Polaroid sunglasses decrease glare on a sunny day because they

(b) The substances that rotate the plane of polarization are said to be

(c) Which phenomenon causes the polarization of light

(d) Quantum nature of light is not supported by the phenomenon of

List-II:

(i) Double refraction

(ii) Block a portion of light

(iii) Optically active

(iv) Diffraction of light

(v) Interference of light

Choose the correct answer using the code given below:

(a) - (ii), (b) - (iii), (c) - (iv), (d) - (v)

(a) - (iii), (b) - (ii), (c) - (iv), (d) - (i)

(a) - (i), (b) - (v), (c) - (iii), (d) - (ii)

(a) - (ii), (b) - (iii), (c) - (i), (d) - (v)

Answer: 4. (a) - (ii), (b) - (iii), (c) - (i), (d) - (v)

Explanation:

To match List-I with List-II, here is the correct pairing:

(a) Polaroid sunglasses decrease glare on a sunny day because they - (ii) Block a portion of light. Polaroid sunglasses are designed to block certain light waves, which reduces glare.

(b) The substances that rotate the plane of polarization are said to be - (iii) Optically active. Such substances are called optically active as they rotate the plane of polarized light.

(c) Which phenomenon causes the polarization of light - (i) Double refraction. Double refraction (or birefringence) in certain crystals can result in the polarization of light.

(d) Quantum nature of light is not supported by the phenomenon of - (v) Interference of light. Interference is well-explained by classical wave theory and does not specifically require quantum theory.

Thus, the correct answer is: (a) - (ii), (b) - (iii), (c) - (i), (d) - (v)

25. Which of the following statements are correct with reference to a nuclear power plant?

Statements:

(a) The by-products can be disposed of directly in the atmosphere.

(b) Fuel transportation cost is very high due to large quantity.

(c) The capital cost is very less as compared to other plants with similar capacity.

(d) Specially trained personnel are required for plant operation.

(e) The fuel used is expensive and is difficult to recover.

(f) A nuclear power plant requires less space as compared to any other type of the same size.

(g) Nuclear power plant can be located near load center because bulk amount of fuel is not required.

Select the correct answer using the code given below:

(d), (e), (f), and (g) only

(a), (b), (c), and (d) only

(b), (c), (d), (e), and (f) only

(a), (b), (c), (d), and (g) only

Answer: (1) (d), (e), (f), and (g) only

Explanation:

(a) The by-products can be disposed of directly in the atmosphere.

Incorrect. The by-products of nuclear power plants, which include radioactive waste, require careful management and cannot be disposed of directly into the atmosphere. They need to be stored in specialized facilities.

(b) Fuel transportation cost is very high due to large quantity.

Incorrect. The cost of transporting nuclear fuel is relatively high, but it is due to the high value and the need for safety and security measures rather than the quantity, which is much less compared to fossil fuels.

(c) The capital cost is very less as compared to other plants with similar capacity.

Incorrect. The capital cost of nuclear power plants is generally high compared to other types of power plants due to the complex technology, safety measures, and regulatory requirements.

(d) Specially trained personnel are required for plant operation.

Correct. Nuclear power plants require specially trained personnel due to the complexity of operations and the need for safety and regulatory compliance.

(e) The fuel used is expensive and is difficult to recover.

Correct. Nuclear fuel is expensive, and while it is not necessarily "difficult to recover," managing and processing spent fuel is complex and costly.

(f) A nuclear power plant requires less space as compared to any other type of the same size.

Correct. Nuclear power plants typically require less space than fossil fuel plants for the same power output because they have a higher energy density.

(g) Nuclear power plant can be located near load center because bulk amount of fuel is not required.

Correct. Nuclear plants can be located closer to load centers because they require less fuel compared to fossil fuel plants, which need larger quantities of fuel transported regularly.

Therefore, the correct answer is: (d), (e), (f), and (g) only

0 votes
by (15.2k points)

26. Essential fatty acids are:

Linoleic acid, linolenic acid, and arachidonic acid

Palmitic acid, arachidonic acid, and linolenic acid

Myristic acid, palmitic acid, and linoleic acid

Oleic acid, myristic acid, and arachidonic acid

Answer: (1) Linoleic acid, linolenic acid, and arachidonic acid

Explanation:

Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are those that cannot be synthesized by the human body and must be obtained from the diet. Linoleic acid and linolenic acid are the primary EFAs, and arachidonic acid can also be considered essential, particularly in specific dietary contexts where linoleic acid is deficient.

Linoleic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid.

Linolenic acid is an omega-3 fatty acid.

Arachidonic acid is derived from linoleic acid but can be essential in some cases.

Thus, option (1) correctly lists these essential fatty acids.

27. Quantum thermometer is a device which precisely measures a wide range of temperature from -27°C to -196°C, using:

Graphene Quantum dots

Zinc Sulphide Quantum dots

Lead-Sulphide Quantum dots

Cadmium Selenide Quantum dots

Answer: (1) Graphene Quantum dot

28. Which of the following statements about Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) are true?

(a) Alpha-linolenic acid is converted into docosahexaenoic acid

(b) It is the major fatty acid in brain phospholipids

(c) Its trivial name is cervonic acid

(d) Its production in men is 15% higher than in women.

(a), (b), and (c) are correct

(b), (c), and (d) are correct

(a), (b), and (d) are correct

(a), (b), (c), and (d) are correct

Answer: (1) (a), (b), and (c) are correct

Explanation:

(a) Alpha-linolenic acid is converted into docosahexaenoic acid: Correct. DHA is synthesized in the body from alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is an essential omega-3 fatty acid.

(b) It is the major fatty acid in brain phospholipids: Correct. DHA is a crucial component of brain phospholipids, influencing neuronal function and brain health.

(c) Its trivial name is cervonic acid: Correct. DHA is also known by the trivial name cervonic acid.

(d) Its production in men is 15% higher than in women: Incorrect. DHA production is generally similar between men and women, though individual differences may exist due to diet or metabolism, but this specific statistic is not universally accurate.

Therefore, the correct answer is (1) (a), (b), and (c) are correct.

29. Go through the following four statements given below:

(a) Root pressure provides a moderate push in the overall process of water transport.

(b) Most plants meet their water needs by transpiration pull.

(c) The greatest combination of root pressure may be to re-establish the continuous chains of water molecules in the xylem vessel which often break under enormous tension created by transpiration.

(d) Guttation is the cause of transpiration pull.

(a) and (b)

(b) and (c)

(a), (b), and (c)

(a), (b), (c), and (d)

Answer:(a), (b), and (c)

Explanation:

(a) Root pressure provides a moderate push in the overall process of water transport: Correct. Root pressure helps in pushing water up through the roots, but it is not the primary mechanism for water transport in tall plants.

(b) Most plants meet their water needs by transpiration pull: Correct. Transpiration pull, due to the evaporation of water from leaves, creates a negative pressure that helps in drawing water upwards through the xylem.

(c) The greatest combination of root pressure may be to re-establish the continuous chains of water molecules in the xylem vessel which often break under enormous tension created by transpiration: Correct. Root pressure can help to re-establish water columns in xylem when breaks occur, but it is not the primary driver of water transport.

(d) Guttation is the cause of transpiration pull: Incorrect. Guttation is the exudation of water droplets from the edges of leaves, typically occurring at night, and is not related to the transpiration pull which occurs due to water evaporation.

Therefore, the correct answer is (3) (a), (b), and (c).

30. The most dangerous radioactive pollutant among the following is:

Phosphorous-32

Strontium-90

Calcium-40

Sulphur-32

Answer: (2) Strontium-90

Explanation:

Strontium-90 is a highly dangerous radioactive isotope because it is a byproduct of nuclear fission and is similar to calcium. When ingested, it can replace calcium in bones, leading to bone cancer and leukemia due to its beta radiation. Its half-life of around 29 years allows it to remain in the environment for extended periods, posing long-term risks.

Phosphorous-32 and Sulphur-32 are also radioactive but are used in medical and research applications, and their radiation is not as penetrating or harmful as Strontium-90.

Calcium-40 is not radioactive.

Thus, the correct answer is (2) Strontium-90.