0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (7.7k points)

Statement-I: Many chewing gums found in the market are considered a source of environmental pollution.
Statement-II: Many chewing gums contain plastic as gum base.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I
(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II does not explain Statement-I
(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect
(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

1 Answer

0 votes
by (7.7k points)

Answer:

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I

Explanation:

• Statement-I: Many chewing gums found in the market are considered a source of environmental pollution. This is because discarded chewing gum can create litter in public spaces, and its synthetic components can be persistent in the environment.

• Statement-II: Many chewing gums contain plastic as gum base. This statement is correct because many modern chewing gums use synthetic rubber or plastic polymers as a base, such as polyethylene and polyvinyl acetate.

Since the presence of plastic in the gum base contributes to its persistence and non-biodegradability, which leads to environmental pollution, Statement-II explains why Statement-I is true.

Therefore, both statements are correct, and Statement-II explains Statement-I, making option (a) the correct answer.