0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (14.8k points)

Statement-I: The Indian Flying Fox is placed under the “vermin” category in the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
Statement-II: The Indian Flying Fox feeds on the blood of other animals.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I
(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II does not explain Statement-I
(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect
(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

1 Answer

0 votes
by (14.8k points)

Answer:

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

Explanation:

• Statement-I: The Indian Flying Fox (Pteropus giganteus) is not placed under the “vermin” category in the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972. The Indian Flying Fox is a large fruit bat and is generally protected under wildlife laws. "Vermin" typically refers to animals that are harmful to crops, livestock, or property and are thus excluded from protection under the act. Bats, including the Indian Flying Fox, are not classified as vermin.

• Statement-II: The Indian Flying Fox does not feed on the blood of other animals. This statement is incorrect. The Indian Flying Fox is a frugivore, meaning it primarily feeds on fruits, nectar, and flowers. The confusion may arise with vampire bats, which do feed on blood, but they belong to a different group of bats found primarily in the Americas.

Therefore, Statement-I is incorrect, and Statement-II is also incorrect, making option (d) the correct answer.