0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (7.7k points)

Statement-I: Thickness of the troposphere at the equator is much greater as compared to poles.
Statement-II: At the equator, heat is transported to great heights by strong convectional currents.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I
(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II does not explain Statement-I
(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect
(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

1 Answer

0 votes
by (7.7k points)

Answer:

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I

Explanation:

• Statement-I: The thickness of the troposphere is indeed much greater at the equator compared to the poles. This is due to the greater heating of the Earth's surface at the equator, causing the air to expand and rise, thus increasing the height of the troposphere.

• Statement-II: At the equator, strong convectional currents due to intense solar heating transport heat to great heights. These currents cause the air to rise, leading to a thicker troposphere.

Since the strong convectional currents at the equator explain why the troposphere is thicker there, Statement-II directly explains Statement-I.

Therefore, both statements are correct, and Statement-II explains Statement-I, making option (a) the correct answer.