0 votes
in Old Prelims Solved Question Papers by (7.7k points)

Statement-I: The atmosphere is heated more by incoming solar radiation than by terrestrial radiation.
Statement-II: Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are good absorbers of long wave radiation.

Which one of the following is correct in respect of the above statements?

(a) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct and Statement-II explains Statement-I
(b) Both Statement-I and Statement-II are correct, but Statement-II does not explain Statement-I
(c) Statement-I is correct, but Statement-II is incorrect
(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

1 Answer

0 votes
by (7.7k points)

Answer:

(d) Statement-I is incorrect, but Statement-II is correct

Explanation:

• Statement-I: The atmosphere is heated more by terrestrial (long wave) radiation than by incoming solar (short wave) radiation. The Sun's short wave radiation passes through the atmosphere and heats the Earth's surface. The Earth's surface then emits long wave radiation (infrared), which is absorbed by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, thus heating it. Hence, this statement is incorrect.

• Statement-II: Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases (such as methane, water vapor, and nitrous oxide) are indeed good absorbers of long wave radiation. They trap heat emitted from the Earth's surface, leading to the greenhouse effect. This statement is correct.

Therefore, Statement-I is incorrect, and Statement-II is correct, making option (d) the correct answer.